Monday 20 April 2015

My new life in my hostel in a new city- #StartANewLife

I finished my BA Final exam and was thinking of what to do next.Then my mom adviced me to go for some higher studies instead of taking a job. My mom came from a very conservative family and was never allowed to study for a long period. She wanted to become a doctor but was married after graduation. But she wanted me to go for higher studies so that I don't rush into marriage and get all opportunities in life that she could not get. I was thinking I would take a job but she said that once a person starts a job,it becomes very difficult to continue with studies no matter what,so it is better to study. But the problem was that we came from a very small city near Patna,the capital city of Bihar. There aren't many good higher studies institutions there. I was worried how would I survive without my parents as I had never stayed away from them,I never even went to any friend' s house for sleepover because I was always leading such a sheltered life. But when my mom adviced me after my graduation,I thought she is right and I should take it up. So I applied for MA in economics in a very good institution in Pune. I am always a good student and so I easily got in also,but Pune is so far away from my home so I was worried that even if something went wrong I would not be able to come back home to my parents easily. My mom told me to belive in God and destiny and take my first step. This is how my step into this new world began. It seems like a small thing that why a girl leaving her home for first time and going to hostel is making a big deal about it. But for me,it was the most dramatic change. 

I had never even packed an overnight bag and now I had to pack all my clothes,all essential daily items,I had to budget money so that I don't run out of the pocketmoney that I get from my parents,I had to take care of my studies,my laundry,everything myself. No longer would I have my mom to make me tea or hot chocolate or wake up at nights with me when I would study late. I would have to make sure all my things are kept in right place because my parents would not be there to find something for me if I lost them. It was a very frightening thing for me. Finally I came to Pune and the girls' hostel and I met all my classmates and roommates and they all are from big cities,living a very cosmopolitan culture from very young age whereas I did not even study in english medium till standard 5th. They all talked about boyfriends in high school and I thought,how will I live with them. But then I realized they are all very nice and co-operative and kind girls and today we are best friends. But it took me such a long time to adjust to hostel life! I always woke up late at home,that too after mom has woken up me ,but here I have to wake up with the alarm clock. I never had to share a bathroom at home,but here there is very fixed timing of when we get hot water and it became very hard for me in the beginning to be able to take a proper bath within the fixed time! After a while,I adjusted to it. Then came the food in the hostel mess. I finally realized why everyone talks about hostel food in a joking manner because I miss my mother's cooking so much because of eating here everyday. I am also adjusting to doing my own laundry and now I realize how much work my mom and my dad used to do for me. I am now learning responsibility and the importance of being mature all because I took this step!

I am happy I started this new life and am also happy how  Housing makes life easy for everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment