Monday 20 April 2015

Lookup with friends

I come from a small city,more like a village,near Patna in Bihar. Now I am studying MA in economics in Pune and this transition has not been easy. When I first came to Pune, it was the first time I had ever come to a hostel to live. Also I had studied in English medium school only from 6th standard so my spoken as well as written English skills were not very good. When I first came here I met my classmates and roommates who had all come from English medium schools from big cities. I share 1 room with 3 other girls,all of whom are from Mumbai. It is a big cosmopolitan city and I always thought that I will not be able to live with them happily. In the beginning,I would struggle to understand what they were saying also because they all speak such fluent english and that too in a very American accent, like those actors in series like FRIENDS and Seinfeld. I had never seen such serials also while growing up because we did not have cable TV in our home as my parents did not want me to waste my time in watching TV. So in the beginning of my hostel days,I stayed like an introvert person. 

One day I had to do my laundry and it was the first time I had to operate a washing machine on my own. I had helped mom back home in operating a semi automatic washing machine but here in hostel,we have fully automatic industrial strength machine and I got very confused on how to use it,how much detergent to use and so on. 1 of my roommates saw me standing in front of the washing machine and came over to ask me what was the problem. Then she proceeded to teach me everything and help me do my laundry. That was the first time I realized that it did not matter that I did not speak English as well as they did or did not watch Hollywood movies like them,I should not judge them because they are all kind and nice people. All my roommates then took special care of me, they took me to English movies and got me DVDs of serials like FRIENDS so I could improve my understanding of English. They also helped me in doing my own cooking sometimes, helped me set up my own cupboard, got me toys to cheer me up when I missed home and took me to places where I could get nice home-style food even though all of them love Italian or chinese cuisine more than anything,but for me they all relished north Indian dishes. 

We had a debate competition in our college sometime ago and I wanted to participate but was worried about stage fright.So my roommates who are now my best friends,took turns to give me tips on combating stage fright and helped me prepare for it. I won consolation prize which is a huge deal because I had never even participated in an English debate competition before that day. I love my friends and they are the ones who make my life full of joy,happiness and cheer everyday. I am still adjusting to my hostel life and I miss my family and home too much but because of my wonderful roommates,my best friends,I am having a lot of fun and I am learning to be independent too!

It is wonderful to see housing also giving reason to everyone to look up in life! 

1 comment:

  1. Hello plumspeachesbeauty information or the article which u had posted was simply superb and awesome and to say one thing that this was one of the best information which I had seen and came across so far, thanks for the information #BGLAMHAIRSTUDIO.

    ReplyDelete